Le Corbusier and Green Firminy

Saint Peter is a concrete building in the commune of Firminy, France. The last major work of French Swiss-born architect Le Corbusier, it was completed in 2006, 41 years after his death.
Designed to be a church in the model city of Firminy Vert, the construction of Saint-Pierre was begun in 1971, six years after Le Corbusier’s death in 1965. Due to local political conflicts it remained stalled from 1975 to 2003, when the local government declared the mouldering concrete ruin an “architectural heritage” and financed its completion. It has been used for many different purposes, as a secondary school and as a shelter. As the laicist French state may not use public funds for religious buildings, Saint-Pierre is now used as a cultural venue.
The building was completed by French architect JosÈ Oubrerie, Le Corbusier’s student for many years.

L’Èglise Saint-Pierre de Firminy est une Èglise catholique situÈe ‡ Firminy dans la Loire en France.
Cette Èglise est un b‚timent en bÈton situÈ dans la commune de Firminy, c’est un des derniers projets de l’architecte Le Corbusier. Le Corbusier l’a conÁu pour Ítre une Èglise dans la ville modËle de Firminy Vert, voulue en 1953 par l’ancien maire EugËne Claudius-Petit qui fut ministre de la Reconstruction et de l’urbanisme. La construction de Saint-Pierre a commencÈ en 1970, cinq ans aprËs la mort de Le Corbusier. Elle a ÈtÈ achevÈe 41 ans aprËs sa mort le 26 novembre 2006. Cependant, le b‚timent n’est pas officiellement une Èglise ; il sert surtout ‡ tÈmoigner de l’oeuvre architecturale de Le Corbusier.

Post to Twitter